There's something about the first warm weather long weekend in Canada. Don't get me wrong, us Ottawans won't let hail, sleet nor snow stop us from seeing a good show in winter. But when the fair weather comes around, it seems everyone wants to come visit. There are myriad great shows to check out this weekend in the nation's capital. Here's a taste:
- Evening Hymns at General Assembly on May 24 (Thursday): Jonas Bonnetta will be calling in the CHUO studio to chat with me about his latest album, Quiet Energies. The last time he was in studio, well over a year ago, he co-hosted the whole hour with me and we had a blast.
- BONJAY: One half of Bonjay, Alanna Stuart, wlll be phoning in tonight to tell us about their new album, Lush Life and upcoming show at 27 Club next Saturday (with special guest King Kimbit). Alanna is a CHUO Alumni where she co-hosted Hop The Fence with me for a short while many years ago. It'll be great to reconnect.
- Moonfruits at the Blacksheep Inn Friday. The band just released a new video for "Le Maire". It was filmed in Old Ottawa South with friends and fans standing in as characters from St-Somewhere aka Ste-Quequepart.
- Claude Munson at the NAC 4th Stage Saturday: He'll be presenting his brand new hot-off-the-press album, The Silence Came After (released on Record Centre Records).
- BlankScreen will be at Bar Robo on Friday along with Empty Nesters and Future News. Blankscreen have a new album, Century.
- Samantha Martin is in at the Blacksheep Inn Saturday for her CD Release, Run To Me featuring Ottawa's own Steve Marriner (MonkeyJunk)
- Danielle Allard drops her new CD, Passing Notes, on Saturday at Collabspace
- Jamie Ferguson and the Hills Gang at the Blacksheep Inn on Sunday at 4 pm. With special guest Kelsey Hayes opening up, it promises to be a fun afternoon along the shores of the Gatineau River.
Host/Producer, Hop The Fence
Fridays @ 5
CHUO 89.1 Ottawa
Twitter and Instagram: hopthefenceCHUO